Sunday, October 7, 2012

(Part 1)... It only takes a second...

Friday, the 12th, will mark one month since the accident. It's amazing how it only takes 1 second for something to change your life dramatically. Something so simple as a softball.

It was a typical Wednesday night playing in my second season with a local co-ed softball team. I was up to bat and hit the ball to the same place that I typically hit it which somewhere between the catcher and third base. Honestly, I'm not a strong batter so the ball doesn't go far... it's my legs that get me on base. I hit the ball to my typical spot and I see someone grab it and throw it to second base. I was happy that it was going to second because that meant I would get on base! All within a second, I touched first base, thought about being excited to get on base, then I was on the ground.

I remember touching the base then hearing the loudest pop. I don't remember actually falling, but I knew that the hit sent me straight to the ground. I opened my eyes right away to realize that I was on the ground and that something went horribly wrong. I just remember looking at the dirt and finding comfort in laying there, unwilling to move, screaming and crying. Honestly, I was afraid. I was hurting, spitting out a lot of blood, and I had no will to get up off the ground.

Out of all things, my first thought was to check my teeth. I ran my tongue along my teeth to make sure none was missing! I couldn't close my mouth, nor did I want to try... I knew that I was hit in the jaw.

I don't know who it was, but someone put their softball glove under my head which was nice... I remember being worried about getting blood on it. I kept trying to spit all the blood out of my mouth, which was quit a lot. I heard someone say "Put her on her back!". Even in shock I knew that it was a bad idea. Hope I didn't sound too rude when I quickly tried to tell them that I needed to stay on my side to keep spitting the blood out. Someone responded "But she's a nurse!". I ignored it like they were making it up. I didn't feel like choking on my blood that night. Not only that, it is a really bad idea to move someone after they received severe trauma to the head.

To whoever it was that wiped my nose, thank you. I asked for a tissue and someone quickly came back with one and asked if they could help. It takes a real woman to wipe another woman's snotty nose. Thank you!

I remember Kimya rubbing my back and telling me that it was okay. You know, that was extremely comforting because I was outright scared! I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back, I know that I had gone into shock. I remember hearing her on the phone with 911... it seriously felt like a dream. I felt frozen in time. My body felt frozen. I didn't want to move... the ground was comforting. I was relieved when I heard the ambulance sirens. I have NO idea why I thought I was going to be air lifted off the field. Again, looking back, I know that I was in shock.

(A memorable moment... laying on the ground and texting, ha! Kimya, my team mate, was telling me that the numbers for Ben didn't work. Well, she didn't know that Ben's phone was broken, so I was trying to explain how to send a message to his email. So here I was, on the ground fumbling through my phone. Random, I thought it was funny how she got frustrated that she didn't know how to type her number into the message so someone else helped her. I knew that the only local family to call was my aunt's house but I thought... I think it's too late to call, haha. Then I figured it wasn't that late and that she wouldn't probably care if it was anyway. I was really happy to know that not only did someone get a hold of her, but I was told that everyone was on their way to the hospital.)


When I heard the sirens I thought "Wow, that was fast!" I felt like I was on the ground for 2 minutes before I heard the sirens. Turns out, I was on the ground for around 25-30 mins. Now I feel silly for telling the dreamy EMT "Wow! You guys got here quick!" and he replied "We were just right down the street".

I saw a stretcher come up beside me. I was embarrassed and scared to sit up when the EMT's arrived. I didn't know what my face looked like, everyone was crowded around, and I was full of snot and tears. I sat up, answered a few questions in extreme amount of pain and not being able to talk right, then I was helped on the stretcher.

As soon as I was on the stretcher and ready to leave the field, everyone started to clap. It still felt like I was in a movie. I was emotional, started to cry, as I still couldn't believe that this was happening. I took both arms, raised them above my head, then covered my eyes/face... I was embarrassed by the tears, but appreciative because I knew that everyone was thinking about me. I could tell that everyone was relieved to see that I was 'alright'... I was just a relieved.

Honestly... as bad as it was to be the one to go through it... I couldn't imagine watching it happen. I'm serious. I can't imagine how traumatic it was for my friends, my team mates, and even the other team, watch this happen to me. I thank God that Ben and Layla decided to stay home that night.
I can't even begin to imagine what I looked like. Face planting into the dirt then start screaming. Then to keep watching it for 30 mins before the ambulance came. I can't imagine being the person who threw the ball. It had to of been heartbreaking.
I did hear from him after the accident... but I'll save that for the next blog.

I got to the hospital and I saw Jeff Haynes walk by, a P.A that was working the night I went into the E.R for my back. I was happy to see him because I wanted to thank him for admitting me to the hospital. I was in the hospital for 3 days, about 3 weeks prior. I was happy that he admitted me because while I was there the docs figured out that I have an autoimmune disease which made me susceptible to getting the back infection that I came in with.

Anyway, he was surprised to see me back so soon! I won't forget when he came in after reading the x-ray. He looked me straight in the eyes and said "I wish that I had better news for you". My heart stopped. I knew that my jaw was messed up... but not THAT messed up. My aunt and I looked at each other. I looked back at Jeff... "You have not only one, but two fractures". My aunt and I looked at each other again. I was in disbelief. I think we all were. He confirmed my fear... surgery.

I was sent home that night, instructed to call the oral surgeon in the morning. I went two days with a broken jaw that was broken in two places. I don't know what was worse... two days with a broken jaw, or post surgery... they were pretty equal actually.



That's a lot for tonight. I forgot a lot of details like how my awesome teammates came to visit me in the ER. You know, they said that me getting on base really helped keep the game going... and we won that game! I'll finish the rest of the story tomorrow... I'm sure this was a lot to read!

2 comments: